Focus passage: Joshua 1:1-9
All of us need to listen. We listen intently as the mechanic tells us what is wrong with our car. We follow the advice of the doctor who has just listened to our heart. We need their expert advice and guidance for we are in an area where we know that we don’t know it all. We often need the help and advice of someone who can help us navigate our way through life. We need someone who can help us figure out what is right and wrong for our lives. Many will turn to talk show hosts and magazines. God invites us to turn to him instead and promises blessings for those who listen and follow him. As we study this week, we will see the blessings of creating a special place in our lives just to listen to God and seek his advice.
Moses has died and Joshua has been given the task of leading over half a million people into the Promised Land. It sounds like an impossible task doesn’t it? Yet, God promises that He will be with Joshua as he reads and studies the words of the scripture. Our lives are often filled with impossible tasks as well. Yet, our God promises to be with us in all situations if we are willing to spend time with him reading and meditating on the Bible, which he has given us. As we are in the word, he will give us direction and help and will strengthen us so that we can handle whatever life brings.
Opening question: What kinds of books do you like to read? Why do you find them uplifting?
1. How would you feel if you were just made the leader of a million people like Joshua? What promises does the Lord give to Joshua in verse 3-5 to give him confidence?
I know that I would be scared if I was suddenly the ruler of a group of people. I don’t know how a president does it. The Lord promises to give him every place that he sets his foot on and that no one will be able to stand up against him. Most important, God promises to never leave him or forsake him.
2. What must Joshua do if he wants to be successful according to verse 7? What do you think it means to be successful?
To be successful is to obey all the laws that Moses gave him. Obey the Bible in other words. Successful is to have a life that made a difference to others. It is to have a life that you can look back at and feel like you accomplished something.
3. Why is obedience to the Lord and his will the key to real success?
God made us and knows what we will be good at. He is the one who can lead us into the places that we can make a difference and give us the ability to really do them well. We can do little without his leadership and power.
4. What is the second command that the Lord gives to Joshua in verse 8? Why must he do this even before he can be obedient and do what it says?
Do not let the Bible depart from your mouth – meditate on it day and night. How can you be obedient if you don’t know what it is that the Lord wants you to do?
5. What does this passage say about the place of Bible study in our life? How does Bible study bring the Lord into our lives wherever we go? (verse 9)
The bible must be our daily companion. It is the way that we can make sure that the Lord is with us wherever we go. In the word, he will speak and guide us and give us his power.