Focus passage - John 3:1-21
God specializes in finding and changing people we consider out of reach. It took awhile for Nicodemus to come out of the dark, but God was patient with this "undercover" believer. Afraid of being discovered, Nicodemus made an appointment to see Jesus at night. Daylight conversations between Pharisees and Jesus tended to be antagonistic, but Nicodemus really wanted to learn. He probably got a lot more than he expected—a challenge to a new life! We know very little about Nicodemus, but we know that he left that evening's encounter a changed man. He came away with a whole new understanding of both God and himself. God looks for steady growth, not instant perfection. How well does your present level of spiritual growth match up with how long you have known Jesus?
1. When have you felt like you wanted to start life all over again?
2. At what time did Nicodemus visit Jesus? (3:2) Why did Nicodemus believe Jesus was from God? (3:2)
3. What did Nicodemus think Jesus meant when He said that a person must be born again? (3:4) Why should Nicodemus have understood what Jesus said? (3:10)
4. What is required to enter the kingdom of God? (3:5-6) What evidence do you see of that change in Nicodemus?
5. How did God demonstrate His love for the world? (3:16) Why did God send His Son into the world? (3:17)
6. How would you describe what it means to be born again to someone? Why must someone be open to God for this to happen?